For our first blog post, we thought we’d share the recipe for a delicious Kenyan Pumpkin Curry. Elizabeth from Mom’s Kenyan Kitchen was so kind to cook this for us at our video shoot over the past weekend and it went down a treat. She also stars in the video using the ACE 1 stove to make this signature Kenyan dish. It pairs really well with her coconut rice and a nice green salad.
1 tablespoon of coconut oil
1 large red onion chopped
5 large Potatoes cubed
2 small size pumpkins cubed
4 cloves of garlic crushed
30 grams fresh cilantro chopped roughly
3 fresh tomatoes cubed
2 courgettes cubed
1 beef/vegetable stock cube crushed
1.5 tablespoons of curry powder (increase or reduce as preferred)
Salt & pepper to taste
In one large pot:
1. Heat the Coconut oil
2. Add the onions and brown them gently on medium heat
3. Add the crushed stock cubes
4. Add the potatoes and fry them for about 5 minutes while turning them in the cooking pot
5. Add the pumpkin and mix with the potatoes and let cook for about 3 minutes
6. Mix in the crushed garlic and fresh cilantro
7. Mix in the fresh tomatoes
8. Add the Courgette. It’s best to add the courgette at a later stage as it needs much less time to cook than the potatoes and pumpkin
9. Add some warm/hot water to your preferred consistency. The veggies have their own water so keep it to about a third in the pot. You can always add more if you prefer.
10. Add the curry powder and mix
Taste the sauce to check the flavour and add some salt and pepper or stock cubes to taste
11. Cover the cooking pot and lower the heat to medium and let cook. It should be ready in 15-20 minutes depending on factors such as how large your potato and pumpkin cubes are. Pick out a piece and taste to check for readiness.
Feel free to experiment by adding your own favourite veggies and spices. You could, for instance, use mushrooms and spring onions and add some coconut milk, if you’d prefer.
Karibu chakula! (bon appetite in Kiswahili)
Elizabeth Njeru comes from Embu in Kenya. She is the proud initiator and owner of Mom’s Kenyan Kitchen. Kenyan food, Kenyan style. Bringing you her mom’s authentic recipes and doing the rich Kenyan culture proud. Visit her website at www.momskenyankitchen.com